Wear your bright socks – Change the world
Imagine being in a conference room where some really serious looking grey haired men are sitting around a table. If you looked beneath the table, what would you expect to see? To be precise, what kind of socks would you expect them to be wearing?
Right. Black socks. Or even worse, grey ones. You’d definitely not expect to see bright colorful stripes and patterns.
Why is that?
At least one of the men must prefer green or blue or striped socks. So why isn’t anyone wearing something bright?
Because you’re not supposed to wear bright little socks in a serious situation like that.
And that’s why we love them.
Bright little socks perfectly symbolize what it means to be brave enough to be different. To be bold enough to question the status quo.
That’s what we do here at Bright Little Socks.
Bright Little Socks is a place for the crazy ones, the rebels and the misfits. It’s for those who refuse to live according to society’s boring standards. It’s for people who are willing to see things differently, question the world around them and try to find better ways to live.
But we don’t stop at philosophizing about all the things that could be different, we take action on them.
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” said good ol’ Gandhi.
We don’t blame our circumstances, the economy or our parents for the life we have. No victim mode allowed. Instead we realize that it’s on us to create the life that we want and a world that makes sense.
That’s why we see our lives as one big experiment on happiness. That means we’re constantly doing new things, experimenting with everything that might have the potential to change our lives and the world. Our aim is to learn, grow and expand as we feel fully alive, creating a life on our terms.
Here at Bright Little Socks you’ll find the inspiration, motivation and action plans you need to create a life you love.
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
We want to come alive.
Imagine a world where everyone lives a life they love, doing things that are meaningful to them. How different would our daily interactions be? Would the world around us be more human, exciting even? Could we fall in love with life again?
We say “Yes, definitely!”
The people who create lives of their own design have the potential to change the world.
And we want to cause a revolution. A happiness revolution. : )
So are you up for the challenge? Then put on your bright little socks and let’s see what we can create together!
About the author
I’m Iris Barzen, a 21 year old philosopher, optimist and life scientist.
I am obsessed with learning everything I can about creating a life that matters.
What is that, you ask? You’re right, that was a little wishy-washy, so let me explain this to you:
When you life a life that matters
- You wake up excited 90% of the time
- You have the freedom to choose how you spend your days and you spend them doing things that you care about
- You live a life that matters not just to your mom but to the human race. You make the world a better place.
Some people say that these are foolish college kid phantasies. I have to disagree. I think it’s natural for us to want these things. Most of us just don’t even dare to think it’s possible. And even if they do, they’re often too scared to take the first steps to start living a life that matters.
I want to be different.
My aim is to live a life I actually give a
damn penguin about and to encourage others to do the same.
That’s why I’ve founded Bright Little Socks, to show you what’s possible and give you the tools, guidance and inspiration you need to come alive again.
- "This Is Too Big for Me" – No, It's Not. Here's How to Beat the Odds
- How to Escape A Life That Bores You to Death
- Too Much to Do Too Little Time: How to Get Off The Hamster Wheel
- Why You Need to Live Your Dreams to Make Your Life Meaningful (spoiler alert: you will die)
- Unhappiness 101
- How to Do What You Love, Change the World & Get Paid to Do it
- 10 Life Lessons Learned on a Trip to the End of the World
- What to Do When Everything Plain Sucks: A Gentle Suck-Day Survival Kit
- The Beauty of a Morning Ritual: How it Can Help You Get Your Joy Back
- Burnout Is Not Cool. I Know You’re Serious About Your Dream, But Stop Killing Yourself Over It.
- Listen to your intuition. It trumps your rational mind.
- You can’t skip the fucking journey (& why I haven’t been blogging as much)