Listen to your intuition. It’s your greatest asset.
One of the greatest gifts we can give to ourselves is to learn how to trust our intuition. It’s also one of the most powerful things we can do.
I believe that our gut feelings, those soft impulses of knowing, come directly from our soul. It’s her way of communicating with us.
Yet often we ignore our feelings and turn to our rational mind when it comes to making decisions. We hope that if we just think hard enough we’ll make the best decision. Maybe the right one, even.
This approach works okay for most people, but it falls short when we start to blaze our own trail and go after our dreams. Our minds don’t process the uncertainty and possibility that come with it very well.
When I decided I wanted to be a life coach, there was no rational reason for that. I had never coached anyone before. I was on my way to getting a degree in media + politics. There was not much evidence that I was gonna be a great coach, or could even make a living from it. But there was this gut feeling. Something inside me felt that I would enjoy coaching, and that it could be one way to use my talents to make a difference. It felt oh-so-right.
I decided to trust that feeling, I asked friends if I could coach them for free. They said yes. It turns out that I thrive when I’m coaching, that it gives me energy to see a client gain new perspectives around who she is. And after six months of learning and practice, I had my first paying client. Soon after, Jacob asked me if I wanted to work as a coach for Sensophy.
Who knew? And that’s exactly the point. There is no way that my mind could have come up with a plan that included all these wonderful twists and turns that lead me to where I am today. Yet my intuition knew that this was a seed worth planting, and that’s why it made me feel the longing to become a coach.
Whether you’re just at the beginning of your journey of self-discovery or have already manifested parts of your dream, I want you to take the leap and start listening to your intuition. It might be a bit quiet in the beginning as it may not be used to such attention. Your rational mind might plant all kinds of doubts in you because it’s used to being the only one. That’s okay.
Would you be up for a little experiment? For the next seven days, try to listen in when making decisions in your life. When you’re at the grocery store pondering whether you should buy the Oreos or get some bananas, check in to see if you’re gut is speaking up. When you’re thinking about what you want your future to look like, see if you’re belly has a preferred option.
This doesn’t have to be a rigid practice, just something small you can do to get your intuition to wake up and see what it has to tell you.
I want to help you get a feel for your intuition. Tell me, what is your experience listening to your intuition? Do you have any doubts, fears, raised eyebrows? Let me know and I’ll see if I can help you.
- "This Is Too Big for Me" – No, It's Not. Here's How to Beat the Odds
- Too Much to Do Too Little Time: How to Get Off The Hamster Wheel
- How to Escape A Life That Bores You to Death
- Unhappiness 101
- Why You Need to Live Your Dreams to Make Your Life Meaningful (spoiler alert: you will die)
- How to Do What You Love, Change the World & Get Paid to Do it
- 10 Life Lessons Learned on a Trip to the End of the World
- What to Do When Everything Plain Sucks: A Gentle Suck-Day Survival Kit
- The Beauty of a Morning Ritual: How it Can Help You Get Your Joy Back
- Burnout Is Not Cool. I Know You’re Serious About Your Dream, But Stop Killing Yourself Over It.
- Listen to your intuition. It trumps your rational mind.
- You can’t skip the fucking journey (& why I haven’t been blogging as much)